Main aim of the charity
ICM known as Inner City Ministries was founded in April 2013 Registration No: 170-439 NPO. Their objective is to reach people who find themselves imprisoned by circumstances and / or self-destructive habits, which prevent them from living with hope and in freedom. Many people are on the streets without the ability or motivation to change their circumstances.
ICM's aim is to enable our visitors through prayer, teaching, encouragement and practical examples of God's love and acceptance, to take the necessary steps to implement positive change in their lives.
ICM's intentions are:
* Sending evangelists out on designated streets to make contact with the homeless, befriending them and inviting them to attend the Thursday night gatherings.
* Presenting a program every Thursday that incorporates a free meal, a bible based message that deals with relevant life issues and then followed up by small group discussions with time for questions, sharing and prayer.
* We give the visitors opportunities to get involved in setting up the equipment, keeping the venue clean and tidying up at the end of the evening enabling them to actively participate, work as teams and share responsibilities.
* Distributing donations i.e.: clothing, blankets, foods, toiletry items and bibles etc.
* Refer people to safe houses/ organizations equipped to assist with shelter, abuse, addictions, prostitutions etc.
* Facilitating and enabling attendance of courses that encourage spiritual growth with the end goal for those visitors to facilitate the program themselves passing on what they have learnt to new visitors.
How the employee got involved and why
I am a member of Maranatha Community Church based in Glen Marais Kempton Park and the church is involved with the funding of this NPO. The Pastor has mentioned on a few occasions about this Organisation and that they are always in need of Volunteers or Sponsors. A close friend of mine is already an Evangelist at this ministry and invited me to attend one of the evenings which I duly did and have committed my time to them ever since.
What work does the employee do for charity?
• My involvement is with the Children’s Ministries whereby I support and build a solid foundation in the hearts of the many children who attend weekly, through bible lessons, activities and loving support. The Children’s Ministries host approximately 50 children between the ages of 3 - 13 and we facilitate in tents on the premises. Both Angie and myself teach the 3 - 9 year old children (boys and girls), Bronwyn and Angelique teach the 9 - 12 year old girls and Ian and Kobus teach the 9 - 12 year old boys. ICM recommend that children 13 years and older sit in the hall with their parents when the message is given.
What impact would winning have on the charity?
Firstly, the ICM family would give all praise to our Heavenly Father if we win the prize as it is for His Glory that we are able to serve the community and make an impact on the lives of those living on the streets and less fortunate than others. The ministry's finance is based on the generosity of sponsorships and donations received from various individuals and businesses so the amount received will definitely be used wisely such as contributing towards rent on bigger premises due to the increase of the Visitors and their children. It would also go towards the purchasing of Bible Packs which we hand out to those who attend the ministry for more than 3 consecutive occasions and do not have a bible. The packs include a bible in the language of their choice, a pen, a notepad and a zip lock bag which is provided to ensure the contents remain safe from damage. One of the most precious gifts we can give the destitute is personal hygiene such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush, disposable razors, shaving cream, sanitary pads, sunblock, face cloth, deodorant etc. Other needs are blankets, food parcels and clothing which we gladly receive from individuals and churches.
What impact would winning have on the employee?
My nickname at work is "Care Bear" which says it all. I have a heart of gold and have always wanted to give back to the community and get involved. As I have never entered such a competition before, it would be a dream come true being able to help the community, providing shelter, giving a plate of food, sharing God's love with the children and making them feel safe, warm and loved, even if it is just for 1 night a week. I am a giver and it warms my heart to know there are people like myself who will give up their time to serve the community and remind them that there is a God of Hope and Salvation.
In the years I have been a DHL Ambassador, I have given my time as a volunteer to the many charitable work done through DHL such as attending the Edenvale Old Age Home, Painting and gardening for a charity in Springs, Christmas Party for an Orphanage in Boksburg, cleaning the environment at Johannesburg Zoo and on the 20th July spending time with orphans at Thembisa Child Welfare for Mandela Day.