Main aim of the charity
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity has grown from a grassroots effort that began on a community farm in southern Georgia in 1976 to a global nonprofit housing organization in nearly 1,400 communities across the U.S. and in over 70 countries.
How the employee got involved and why
• My involvement with Habitat stemmed from my lifelong dream of truly impacting the world. My entire life, it was my belief that I needed to have a fortune to be in a position to help others. However, it turns out I was completely wrong.
• One day, I was searching on the internet for ways to get involved in my community and stumbled across Habitat for Humanity asking for volunteers. When I saw this I jumped at the opportunity as I had previously worked construction and realized I might be able to truly help. During my first day of volunteer, I experienced something I never experienced before in my life and that was fulfillment. To be in a position to help others, has truly changed my perspective what my purpose is.
What work does the employee do for charity?
• The overall vision of Habitat for Humanity is to create a world where everyone has a decent place to live. My involvement in carrying out the Habitat vision is by performing the following activities.
o Logged enough hours to become a Core Volunteer, which is the first step in becoming a Leader Volunteer. Once I become a Leader Volunteer, I will be able to run job sites on my own and at that point I will be qualified to lead a Global Volunteer Trip.
o The specific work I do at volunteer is as follows: Roofing, Framing, Trussing, Flooring, Finishing Wood Work, Wall Studding, Drywall Prep, Painting, Shingling, Landscaping, and Insulation work. The only work I do not participate in is plumbing, electrical, cement block laying, and foundation forming. This is due to insurance / liability issues with Habitat.
What impact would winning have on the charity?
• It is my belief that everyone in the world should have access to running water, sanitation, and most importantly a roof over their head. By winning the DHL’s GOT HEART contest, we as an organization would bring the world one step closer to this. The global housing / sanitation issue is not something that 2 or 3 people can fix. We need a global push to raise awareness and gather support, this is the primary reason for my submission.
• With DHL’s global reach and vision of connecting the world, I could not think of a better match.
What impact would winning have on the employee?
• When it comes to a direct impact on me, winning this contest would mean the world to me. It would mean that I work for an organization that not only supports me heart in hand with my career aspirations but also my LIFE aspirations.
• My life aspiration / goal is to simply leave a positive impact on this world when I leave. As one human being I can do a lot, but with the support of the world’s most global organization, I KNOW THAT TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.