Main aim of the charity
Through the volunteers, the MUIS Befrienders aim to contribute towards positive social, psycho-emotional and physical well-being of Muis Zakat-receiving individuals, also referred to as clients.
Long-term Zakat recipients include:
- The elderly aged 65 years and above
- People with Disability (PWDs)
- Chronically ill (e.g. Kidney patient and cancer patients)
How the employee got involved and why
I started as a volunteer at a Mosque. When I got to know of the MUIS Befrienders program calling for volunteers to look after needy families, it looked interesting to me and I signed up. The program gives volunteers the opportunity to make a difference and contribute towards positive social, psycho-emotional and physical well-being of Muis Zakat-receiving individuals (individuals who are certified unfit for work either due to chronic illness, bedridden or single parents).
What work does the employee do for charity?
By making regular visits to the assigned beneficiaries, we:
- build a relationship of mutual trust
- encourage the beneficiaries to achieve empowerment and self-reliance
- help facilitate integration of the beneficiaries into mainstream society through activities, programs and community participation
- assist to prevent loneliness, isolation and boredom among the elderly/destitute
- promote active and positive ageing
What impact would winning have on the charity?
I wish that by winning, the funding can help get the beneficiaries out of poverty. The MUIS Befrienders fund is very limited. With DHL's funding, we can add more funds to the organization and help the beneficiaries and for some even their children, to get more nutritional food, daily needs and improve their lives.
What impact would winning have on the employee?
I am reminded that I am very fortunate in comparison to what the beneficiaries are facing. It is my hope to see them have a better life for the future. As we always say: DHL - Connecting People, Improving Lives!